1-561-514-0900 FREE CONSULTATION

Getting a new attorney in your guardianship case

Is that proper?

Hello, my name is John Pankauski, I’m a guardianship litigation attorney with Pankauski Hauser in West Palm Beach.
You know, many family members call us to interview our law firm when mum or dad maybe getting on in years and they need a little assistance, they may need a guardianship, their property needs to be protected and secured and they need someone to make decisions for them. If so, you should know that your mum and your dad your alleged incapacitated person or what the state calls the ward, is entitled to have an attorney. Well, can that attorney be substituted out for another law firm or another attorney. Or, what happens if mum or dad are ok, maybe even getting better after the guardianship is filed. Can they go out and hire a new attorney. Do they have the right to contract, can a new attorney come in and substitute in for them. Well, you can talk to an elder law attorney or a guardianship litigation law firm but you can also read a little bit more about this subject from Florida’s 1st District Court of Appeal in the Campbell case. Campbell 219 southern 3rd 938. It’s a May 16th 2017 guardianship appellate court opinion issued by one of Florida’s Appellate Courts. This will give you perspective, this will give you insight regarding a ward’s right to have an attorney and under what circumstances a person who is involved with a guardianship proceeding should have an attorney.
My name is John Pankauski and this concludes my remarks about guardianship litigation in Florida.